Last week Instagram announced that eligible UK charities and supporters can now raise money for their charity on Instagram using donation stickers. The great news is that like Facebook, 100% of the money raised using the Instagram donation sticker goes to your organisation.
To be eligible to receive donations through donation stickers your UK registered charity must:
- Register with Facebook to use its charitable giving tools (to use donation stickers your charity must be approved to accept Facebook payments)
- Link your Instagram profile to your organisations Facebook page
- Convert your Instagram profile to a business profile
Once you’ve completed these steps, your organisation’s Instagram account is eligible to be fundraised for on Instagram Stories.
Now you can create your own Instagram photos/stories about your cause and add a donate sticker for your charity. You can also ask your supporters to do the same on their Instagram stories and photos to raise money for you.
It’s a straightforward process:
- Take a photo or video using your Instagram account
- Tap the sticker icon in the top of phone screen
- Selection the DONATION sticker from the options
- Select your charity from the list displayed
- Tap Send to and then Share with your friends
Facebook has made suggestions on best practices for using Instagram donate stickers:
Kick start your donation story with photos and video of what your cause is and why it matters and what the donations will help to accomplish. Use the creative tools to make it visual and post donate sticker in lots of stories for exposure. Keep people up to date with your campaign with milestones and achievements. Finally, use the highlight feature to pin your story to your profile so that your supporters have access to your donation story for more than 24 hours.
For those of you new to Instagram here’s a couple of links to help you get started: