What is it?
AmazonSmile first launched in the USA and then expanded to the UK in November 2017. Originally it only benefited 11 major charities, but now small and large UK registered charities can sign up.
How does it work?
AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon with the same products, prices, and shopping features as Amazon.com. When you shop the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products to your charity.
How do you sign up?
1. As the authorised representative of your charity go to org.amazon.co.uk
2. Search for your organisation using your charity number and enrol
3. Create an administrator account and accept the participation agreement after reading carefully
4. Verify your email address
5. Submit your bank account information
6. Upload a copy of your bank statement to verify your banking information
7. Send your supporters instructions on how to use AmazonSmile to benefit your charity
8. Start shopping!
Paypal and eBay are now offering registered charities (of all sizes) a great way to raise additional funding via a service called the PayPal Giving Fund.
Once you have created a PayPal account for your charity you can then enrol to the Giving Fund for free and your charity will appear on the PayPal website and app, allowing the public to make direct donations. Enrolling to the fund also displays your organisation on eBay for Charity and your supporters can then sell items and donate all or part of the proceeds to your charity. Your charity will also be part of Go Fund Me, where supporters can run individual fundraising campaigns on your behalf.
They also offer additional tools such as a donate button for your website to allow you to accept direct donations without having to use a 3rd party online donation site. They can also provide PayPal Here card readers which would let you accept chip and pin or contactless donations in person at fundraising events.
Enrolling for the fund is straightforward;
1. Create a business account for your charity with PayPal and follow the instructions on how to enrol for the PayPal Giving Fund.
2. Encourage your supporters to donate to you on PayPal, eBay and other online platforms by putting a donate button on your website
PayPal processes the website donation and provides a receipt to your donor and transfers the funds to your charity without charging any fees
Read the PDF guide on how to enrol