Many of you have active Facebook pages, I see you online every day, but a surprising number of you are not using the fundraising capability that Facebook offers registered UK charities. There are lots of reasons why you should:
- It’s easy!
- All the funds raised on your page are all yours – no fees.
- Facebook has one of the largest online social communities where you can reach hundreds of your supporters and potential supporters every day.
- Your supporters can set up a dedicated fundraising page to promote your cause and rally their friends around a fundraising goal.
- Donors can make a donation without leaving your Facebook page.
- You can sign up to receive donations automatically through Facebook Payments and get paid biweekly based on when donations are received.
- Use Facebook ads for relatively small fees to target your campaign to a particular location – especially useful for small local charities.
- Learn about who is making a donation to your cause by accessing contact information of donors who have opted in.
- Use Facebook Insights to analyse and engage better with your audience
- Make Facebook donate button an addition (not a replacement) to your fundraising strategy
It’s worth noting for those of you with an Instagram platform, on May 1st, 2019 Instagram in the US followed in the steps of its parent Facebook and added a way for users to easily donate to nonprofits. Similar to Facebook’s donation button, Instagram covers 100% of credit card/processing fees for nonprofits that are officially US registered charities approved by Facebook.
The date of the UK Instagram donate launch has not yet been announced, although its rumoured it will take place later this year.