‘We can’t help everyone – but everyone can help someone’
Make a Difference Day was started to help encourage us all to take one day a year to try to make a difference in our world. It’s amazing what just a small effort can do for a local community or for a life. We all have an opportunity every day to change the world, whether we’re helping our neighbours, making a donation to charity or volunteering for a local voluntary group.
We’ve thought of some simple ways you can make a difference in a day and we hope you’ll give some of them a try and let us know how you get on!
Make a donation:
- Have a house tidy and give your unwanted items to someone who can use them – Marie Kondo is great inspiration!
- Find out what your local food bank needs and make a food donation
- Donate money to a local charity
- Buy charity Christmas cards
Do something for someone else:
- Have a cup of tea with a neighbour
- Telephone a friend or relative who needs support
- Offer to babysit
- Take part in a litter pick or pick up some litter yourself
- Share your chocolate (although we’re not sure about this one!)
- Compliment a coworker
- Give way to another car at a junction and be a considerate/patient driver for the day
- Talk to someone in the queue at the supermarket or smile at someone in the street
- Give up your seat on the bus or train
Help a local charity by sharing their messages on your social media – retweet, like, share and comment to help them reach a new audience
Making a difference to yourself will help the world around you and how you feel about it
Finally if you think you could give more time than a day we have nearly 400 live volunteer roles in North Surrey from mental health buddies to dog walking and we can find you something to suit you https://voluntarysupport.org.uk/volunteering/volunteer-now/