Virgin Money has announced the closure of Virgin Money Giving, taking effect on 30 November 2021. The closure is unwelcome news for many of us in the UK charity sector and it raises important questions about the viability of donation platforms in the face of competition from other payment methods.
The good news for charities is that there are now lots of ways to collect donations:
- Via your own website using a payment gateway such as Paypal
- Set up Text to Give options
- Fundraise through social media platforms Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitch (and more!)
- Sell donated items online by becoming an Ebay Charity
- Encourage your supporters to donate money by selling their unwanted items using apps like Ziffit or Ebay.
But, for those of you who would like to continue using fundraising platforms because of the features and support they offer, here are your options from Charity Digital: https://charitydigital.org.uk/topics/topics/the-best-online-fundraising-platforms-for-charities-5324
and an interesting podcast on the subject that’s worth a listen https://charitydigital.org.uk/podcasts/podcast-virgin-money-giving-and-the-future-of-fundraising-platforms